My self care and beauty routine
For me, self-care practices are essential to living a happy and healthy life. When I started modeling at a young age I quickly learned that taking care of my skin and body was an important part of my job. I developed a “beauty-routine”, that has become a natural part of my day and self-love practice. Our skin is the largest organ of the body, so we have to make sure to take good care of it!
A self-care routine has a positive impact on our wellbeing and can drastically change how we feel. So even if you can’t change your habits all at once, go easy on yourself and start by adding one thing at a time to your own weekly routine. Scroll down to see my favorite self-care & beauty routines below.
My 9 Self-care & Beauty tips
1. Sleep: I would say that this is my #1 beauty “secret”. When I get a good amount of restful yummy sleep I feel and look better right away. It’s not always easy to achieve that with my heavy travel schedule and early wake up calls when I’m working on location. But I always try to make it a priority and leave enough time for sleep (ideally 7-8hrs). Not only does your body produce more collagen and regenerate skin cells in your sleep (hence you’ll look better;)…it has also a protective effect on your immune system, helps you focus and strengthen your memory.
2. Always remove your make up: Going to bed with clean skin is a must! Leaving your make up on can lead to clogged pores when it mixes with the dirt and oil that has built up throughout the day. And if you’re adding skin care products on top of your make up, the anti-aging benefits of the product won’t work as well as they would on cleansed skin. I'm lazy and prefer all-in-one products that remove make up & mascara, cleanse and tone. This is one of my favorites Bioderma Sensibo. You can also use make up removing towlettes or cleansing oil.
3. Face Mask: My quick fix to feeling fresh and hydrated! I use all different kinds of face masks depending on what my skin needs. I’m currently obsessed with SUMMER FRIDAYS Jet lag Mask which is vegan and free of synthetic fragrances. If you prefer an all natural mask, make your own! Just mix half avocado, 1 Tablespoon oats, 1 Tablespoon honey and 2 Tablespoons yogurt.
4. Stay out of the sun: I always make sure that my skin is protected when I’m exposed to extreme sunlight. I either wear a hat or try to stay in the shade. And I always use SPF30 or higher, even in the winter because the sun isn’t just damaging your skin when the sky is clear! Sunscreen prevents cancer, dark spots and wrinkles and should be part of your daily skincare routine. Make sure to get one that protects from both UVA &UVB rays. UVB causes sunburn, while UVA rays are present all day long and you won’t actually feel them damage your skin. I use all different kinds of sunscreen and (of course even tried to make my own. Recipe will follow soon). But I’m obsessed with It Cosmetics CC+ Cream (medium) which is make up and SPF 50 in one product. I also love La Roche-Posay Anthelios Invisible Mist. Goes easily over make up and is great to use in between.
5.Yoga & Exercise: Well, it’s needless to say that my Yoga practice plays an important role in my beauty routine. But it’s not just the ASANA (the physical practice), but the lifestyle that comes with it. Meditation, practice of gratitude, kindness to yourself & others, the understanding of the body, being in the present moment, practicing patience, the list goes on.... I believe that Yoga and the self-awareness that comes with it, lets your inner and outer beauty shine. Since I like to move my body and break into a sweat at least once a day, I add HIIT training exercises to my regular yoga practice.
6. Dry Brushing and Cold Showers: Dry Brushing, which is one of my favorite homeopathic remedys, helps eliminate toxins and apparently even the reduction of cellulite! Begin brushing by starting at bottom of your feet and work your way up the entire body in long sweeping motions towards your heart.
Finish this beauty ritual with a hot and cold shower. I’ve been taking ice-cold showers for as long as I can think and I love the uplifting effect it has. It also helps to increase blood circulation and strengthen your immune system. Alternate between hot and cold and finish with the cold shower starting from bottom to top.
7. Bath Salts: Nothing feels better after a long day then taking a bath. Epsom salt baths are my favorite. It helps relax my muscles and loosen my stiff joints. I love to put on some scented candles and soothing music in the background. Baths salts are available at any drugstore or pharmacy.
8. Beauty & wellness supplements: I’m actually not a fan of taking too many vitamins and supplements, since a healthy diet, regular exercise and self care seem to have a bigger effect on my wellbeing. But when I went to India this year to do my 300hr YTT, I was introduced to Amla Powder which has been known and used for its benefits for more than 5000 years. I’ve noticed a significant improvement in my digestion and use it as an overall rejuvenater and remover of toxins.
Before my India trip, I prepared my body for the month of training and different food by resetting my acid-base balance. I started the 40-day ReguSana basic therapy by @orthocellag to reset my acid-base and bind toxins (shipping Europe only). Use code “Nadia10” to get 10% off. Another daily supplement I use is Turmeric, which supports overall wellbeing and radiant skin.
9. Ultrasound Therapy: And here is my last and probably most effective anti-aging tip! I discovered SQOOM years ago in the Lufthansa on board- shop, a device that uses iontophoresis and ultrasound. It has an incredible anti aging effect on the skin when used in combination with hyaluronic or collagen gels. I’ve been told that this specific brand (Sqoom) was taken off the market unfortunately. So I’m simply advertising it here, because I believe in the use of Ultrasound devices to stimulate the skins own collagen production and anti aging effect! I’m sure that there are a lot of alternatives out there.
To wrap this up I’d like to add 2 more things that have a tremendous impact on how I look and feel - the power of positive thoughts and lots of laughter :-)
all pics by Sacha Martin